View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #42
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yeah, you did. Whether you meant to or not, I have no idea, but you absolutely did.

You are opining that publishers are necessarily to prevent the publishing of stuff that's dreck. Then everyone would be deprived of what the publishers think is dreck and would only get to chose from what the publisher likes. Publishers, by definition, are who make things available to the public.

If you only mean you want that filtering service personally, then what you want is not a publisher, it's a reviewer who's taste run in line with yours.
Then you are free to filter your selections through what the reviewer thinks, but all the rest is still out there for anyone who disagrees.
Those reviewers are out there, and I think THEY can serve that gate-keeping function that publishing houses have been serving.
It's hugely frustrating to have to do this (again). APK: let's review the transcript shall we? Because there is a huge flaw in what you continue to insist that I said. You said above that I want self-published works not to be published at all, and therefore for everyone to be deprived of works that are not published by traditional publishers.

Show me where I actually said that. You can't!

I will say this very clearly: I don't begrudge the right of people to self publish, or of readers reading those works. Never said I did. Publish away, do what you want. Can't form a coherent sentence? No matter, put your "novel" up on Smashwords, and then pay people to post positive reviews, what the hell, it's a free country right? I can't be more clear than that.

I just personally don't want to bother with self-published works. That's not saying I don't want it to exist. It's just my own personal cost/benefit analysis, nothing more. I am open to revising that opinion at any time. But, as someone else said, there are very few undiscovered gems out there. And the Beatles did in fact get a record contract in the end, as we all know.

I have spent way too much time already on clarifying people's misrepresenting of what it was that I said, so this will be my last post in this thread. I ask that APk and Elfwreck not twist and mangle my words in the future.

peace
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote