View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Robert Minneman
Connoisseur
Robert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-505
For me, the 505 wedge cover is totally awsome. Prior to receiving the wedge cover as a birthday gift I was alternating between a light wedge and various clip on book lights.

The clip on lights were problematic because either I'd end up with the stupid light shining as much in my eyes as on the page, or the reflection glare from the light off the surface of the lcd/eink matrix was totally annoying at best, or created a 'blind spot' at worst.

The light wedge was really only good for books because of the reader screen is inset from the metal case causing a gap which made the light wedge mostly ineffective once the batteries became the least bit discharged decreasing the luminescence. Plus the fact that it wasn't mounted but seperate device made it cumbersome to coordinate holding with the reader.

The wedge cover light actually fits inside the metal case resting directly on top of the screen surface, so it maintains readability as long as the batteries are capable of provinding the power for sufficient readable lumens.

I've never really had a serious problem with the added weight of the wedge cover. The only time it's an issue is when I'm dozing off and I drop the reader on my chest/lap/face, but that's my "GO TO SLEEP NOW" alarm, so I consider it a 'feature', not a drawback.

Someone with a stronger structural engineering background may disagree, but I think the wedge cover also offers far better protection for your reader as you end up with at least an additional quarter inch of PVC protecting the most expensive, and most easily broken, part of your reader.

YMMV.
Robert Minneman is offline   Reply With Quote