View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
The more interesting question is whether backlit vs. frontlit actually makes a difference. I understand that people claim a frontlit e-reader screen is easier on the eyes than a (backlit) LED. But, assuming both are set to the same level of brightness, I wonder whether that is true and, if so, what should cause this difference.
Off the top of my head, I'd say that polarization may make a difference.
The other thing that comes to mind is that front-lit eink devices can drive their brightness lower than most (if not all) LCD devices. (Front-lit eink displays can go to zero lighting and still be readable.)

The two most likely reasons for *some* people having issues with extended reading off LCD screens are the much higher absolute brightness and absolute contrast. It is possible to have too much of an otherwise good thing.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote