View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Hmmm... My problem with it is mainly that I didn't notice the author was John Ringo until too late. I thought it was going to be a Bolo story. But it turned out to be a John Ringo story that borrowed the name Bolo for one of the main characters

I don't generally mind Ringo all that much; his plotlines are usually exciting and he writes battles well. But some of his writing ticks really started to bother me after reading a few of his novels.

For example, his habit of injecting contemporary US conservative views into his science fiction novels is up at L.Neil Smith levels of annoying. And the way he puts domination into his sex scenes is awful.
Yes, I agree with you about the politics - his political views are diametrically opposed to my own! - and in some of his books the "kinky sex" scenes are just ghastly (the "Ghost" series I wouldn't touch with the proverbial barge-pole), but I don't recall there being any such scenes in "Road to Damascus". He's such a good writer that I can forgive him his political views, even though I regard them as being utterly wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote