View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #45
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I'm sure the authoring tools are cool and will produce some impressive IP, but I doubt Apple will finally conquer the classroom.

Apple has been trying to capture mindshare by putting computers in classrooms since 1975. After 35 years, Apple's marketshare is 10%. If you count Apple computers running a copy of Windows as both Apple and Windows PCs, this drops to 5%. If you count these as Windows machines, Apple is competing with a FREE OS for mindshare.

People say that tablets are different, but they are not. Apple was the only GUI OS at one point. Copycats beat them with a less expensive, good enough alternative. The same thing is happening with the tablet market. Apple had 95% of the tablet market in 2010Q3. By the end of 2011, that share was estimated to be 65% -- just six weeks after the first Fires were being registered. 2012 promises further erosion.

Schools do not impulse buy. To introduce a tech change of this magnitude requires evaluation, pilots, deliberation, grants, and warrant articles. This process provides an opportunity for competitors to offer alternatives.

I can't imagine that Barnes and Noble (who already run bookstores on many college campuses), Microsoft (tablets arrive later this year), Amazon (duh), and others are not going to challenge this initiative.

We are talking about introducing tablets into our school district. The pilot calls for using 'iPad like devices' in the lower grades and 'nook-like devices' for the higher grades. The reasons are cost and impact -- more expensive, colorful, interactive devices will engage the younger kids in the classroom while older kids will get less expensive e-readers that can be taken home. There has been no discussion of cameras or radios. Schools all work to the same talking points, so I guess this is a widespread roadmap.

I think Barnes and Noble and Amazon already have a device that will achieve all criteria and predict that the one that offers to give each teacher and administrator an iPad will win;-)

Last edited by wizwor; 01-20-2012 at 02:04 PM.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote