View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #115
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I have read most of his books, and I liked them.
Do you really think he sold more than a million books just because of 300 fake reviews?
There are really two questions here with different answers.

1. Q - Would he have sold more than a million books without 300 fake reviews?
A - He very well may not have. Obscurity is the biggest problem for an indie author, and *300* fake reviews is a huge splash in a small pool. It suggests a large groundswell of support for an otherwise unknown author.

2. Q - Did he sell more than a million books *just because* of the 300 fake reviews?

A - No, not just because of the reviews. While I don't think he would have sold so many books without the reviews, if his books were spectacularly bad his books would not have sold so well. Nor do I think that he would have sold so well if he hadn't prices his books as aggressively as he did. So while I think the fake reviews may have been necessary for his success, I don't think that they were alone sufficient for his success.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote