Thread: margin: 0 auto;
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And using em for margins is just wrong. It means when you up the font size, you also make the margins wider. Use pt or px for the margins.
Except when you want the margins to grow with the font size. In this particular case, I do; just as I want the first line indent to be proportional to font size, I also want the margin/indents in poetry to be.

If fact, ideally I'd like to define something more complex that depends on the font size, page size, orientation, etc. and has some maximum and minimum values (for instance: 20% of page width, but not less than 2em, and not more than 1.5cm). This is currently not possible, it might be with CSS3, though; as a compromise I prefer to use ems in this case, but I only gave it as an example.

By the way, using px is just as wrong, as it is dependent on the device resolution, and sometimes it's not even defined (what is a pixel when converting to PDF with prince?).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote