View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #120
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
New 3D battery company

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Again, I'm sorry to repeat myself, but there's a massive gulf between the research lab and the shelf of the local store. Look at all the promised devices in the reading world which have failed to make that transition - Plastic Logic is an excellent example.

I'm not doubting the fact that there's a lot of exciting research going on in this area, but you need to realise that research does not always translate into commercially viable products, and even when it does, the process generally takes many, many years.

I honestly wouldn't get my hopes up of seeing a Kindle with new battery technology this October, next October, or even the October after that. You're going to be disappointed if you do.
See this link:

http://prieto.everyperspective.com/a.../our-strategy/

Its a new startup company specializing in 3D batteries. It seems exciting to me. From that link: "Today, we are on the threshold of a major breakthrough. As a result of years of research, experimentation, and perseverance, we believe the Prieto Battery will be commercialized within the next several years."

By the way, batteries are just part of the new innovations right around the corner for Kindles. Just compare my present PW and KFHD7-32 to my old Sony PRS-505 of several years ago and its like night and day. I couldn't even give that one away to anyone I knew. So I was forced to donate it to the local public library.

I expect Amazon will have glorious new eReaders and maybe a Smart Phone for our enjoyment this October making our present Kindles look like totally obsolete models. Even batteries will improve without 3D. Just compare our present Lithium batteries today to the ones available just 6 years ago. Everything improves by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote