View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
That's just strange to hear. My first attempt at using Calibre was as a reader for a netbook (years ago), and I found it awful.
Interesting. I am the exact opposite in my experience and feelings thereof. Calibre was my first exposure to epub books in general, combined with Project Gutenberg. I liked the way I could either turn a page with a mouse click, a space bar, or even scrolling down line by line at my whim with a down arrow, and when I finally bought a Kobo (my first dedicated e-reader) I remember being annoyed that I couldn't do the same things as I had started to feel entitled to with calibre.

I installed FBreader and never made friends with it. It just didn't read the way I had enjoyed. So I often just revisit calibre for the purpose of reading because it embodies all I want in an e-reader and e-book organizer.

I have a Sony T1 now for my e-reader having given my 2 Kobos away to my husband and daughter, and while I like it the best of all I have had so far, any future e-reader purchases will be critically compared to my calibre experience.

My netbook, which I still have, is an Asus eeepc 1001px that runs on Linux.

Despite being a linux user, I am not technically adept, and wish I could explain more articulately just WHAT makes calibre so special to me as an ereader as well as an organizer. Maybe the gazillion fonts I can use at will? the "more sizes", the ability to full screen or minimize the bookreader at will? Maybe other desktop readers can do it too, but I've tried everything I can get my hands on.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote