View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Capidamonte rocks!

Yes, and what Cap is not telling you is that he did it ALL, I did zip, zein, zilch, nada. It's positively terrific work, and looks fab. His coding--his xhtml and html--is super-clean and tight, too (I know that sounds vaguely obscene or suggestive, but it's really not supposed to).

He's also not telling you that his comment about the h3 tags is his snide way of reinforcing his lecture to me yesterday about my "abusing" the header tags to create TOC items. {sob}. He points out, correctly, that h1-h6 tags are, of course, intended to be used structurally, and not merely to create TOC items.

I, on the other hand, have countered that it's not my fault that Word abducted and abused the header tags first, and that in the evolution of ebooks the tags were further abducted and misused in the creation of clickable, active links for TOC's (as they work in Word, the evil genesis). He's right, of course, but given the 900-lb. gorilla's reliance on Word (we're talkin' Amazon here) and even the Dark Empire's reliance on Epubs (Apple) that use h1-h6 tags for the TOC, I don't see another way around this, without manually creating the toc.ncx file, which, if I tried, would surely bring about the Apocalypse, or at least unleash The Horsemen.

So: just something to think about, for future epub-making software: are we abusing the header tags?

And, again: Cap's work on this was absolutely brill. , Cap!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote