View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #21978
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
You pronounce it tie-ers. I wish they were gold-filled, at least they'd have a resale value. Actually they are nitrogen filled, as apparently that deflates more slowly.
Nitrogen is used as tie-er fill because it doesn't heat up as much as ordinary air when driving on the highways. Heat is the biggest cause of tire failure along with punctures. That's why we are told to check pressure when the tires are cold, and not run them under-inflated. The heat build-up from running on tires that are even just a little bit soft is astounding!

The use of nitrogen for tires began on the race tracks, spread into long distance truck tires, motorcycle tire use, and now is becoming common for commuter auto tires.

It's funny... I spend so much effort to avoid nitrogen when diving, then have to go back to my repair shop just to get nitrogen for my bike tires!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote