View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
PrinceOfBabylon
PrinceOfBabylon began at the beginning.

Device: Various PDAs
Unhappy Technical Questions about Dictionaries...

Hello and Happy New Year!!
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but Google keeps bringing this forum up in it's results so here goes.
I want to learn a new language, Japanese or Italian, haven't really decided yet which one I'm going to go for first. As part of the learning process I want to make my own Dictionary. Since I already know german and english I thought I could use both languages in the definitions, i.e.
<foreign word> - <1. german translation 2. english translation>
in one go, so instead of having two dictionaries (Italian - german & Italian - english) I would only have one (Italian - myKnowledge).
So I have been looking around the interwebs for a suitable dictionary program and decided on stardict since it will/would work on my N800. What I couldn't find yet - because it either doesn't exist or I'm way too stupid - is a program to make the actual dictionary.
In short I'm looking for a program that will let me name my dictionary (Mywonderfuldict) and then have one field to put in the foreign word and another field for the definitions. And then let me save everything to file that can be read by stardict or another program that runs on the Nokia N800. So far I have only found the stardict editor and the Babylon Glossary Builder both of which require me to already have a file with definitions to convert to their respective formats.
I want a program that let's me define the words, not convert a database into another. Is there such a program out there?

Sorry, if this post is a bit confused, I'm a bit tired what with partying and drinking and stuff.

Thanks in advance!
PrinceOfBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote