View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Another problem ist that Joe Average might put the blame on "those eBooks" and stick to books (or may not read, after all). He might not even know about DRM or make the right conclusions to really understand what DRM does to his legally acquired files.

DRM doesn't only restrict customer's rights but also constrains eBooks in general as a cultural/technological development.

I've been (co)publishing our eBooks for over six years without any DRM and never encountered any serious matter of pirated copies, so I can just encourage every publisher to give his/her readers some credit.

What really bugs me is that epub isn't really "free" at the moment. Any commercially sold epub eBook with DRM is at last an Adobe ADE-DRM-epub, so it is as far away from the open standard it is supposed to be as I could think of.
So, the current devices work with "Adobe epub". What about some years in the future? Will ADE still be around? Is there another kind of DRM-epub from another company, and of course, those two then are not compatible?

As long as any eBook file is restricted/bound with DRM, the user is never free to use it as he or she wishes to.

So - goodbye DRM-prc, welcome DRM-epub ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote