View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #61
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
I've given 0.5.905 a whirl, and I must say that I like what I see

Thanks a lot for your effort with this one, it shows!

I do have a few observations. I'm sorry if these suggestions have come up before, and I'm probably a bit late to the party with them, but here's a couple of thoughts:

Code inspector: it's very helpful for viewing CSS and source, but for those of us with multiple monitors it would be even more helpful to be able to break it out in its own window, like you can do with the TOC and Book Browser panes.

Code inspector: an inspection mode with automatic refresh would be great, I'm thinking of something like Firebug's inspect mode. This expands the source code view automatically and updates whatever you have selected in the right pane (Style, computed, and so on) on mouse-over without the user having to click the element to be inspected, and re-select inspect mode for a new element. This makes it easy to compare css for different elements.

View Mode: A continuous reading mode would be very nice for scanning through a book, it can be cumbersome to open all files in succession. A way this might be implemented without too much changes (?) is to simply switch to the new file in the same tab if the user pages past the end or beginning of the current file. Alternatively a new tab could be opened for each file if it's not already open, and paging past the beginning of the file switches to the existing tab with the previous file. To me the former alternative seems more intuitive (and less resource-intensive). Note that I don't intend this to be a reader replacement, although it would probably work for that as well, but a quicker way of reviewing the whole book.

Search: an option to search displayed content (as opposed to html source) would be useful. I suppose this is a rather large change, as you might have to render all html files in order to search through them? This search option should open the Book View.

All in all, the beta brings lots of interesting features to the table. As crutledge mentions the "Open with..." option is pure gold.

Again, thanks a lot