View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
The European versions are not phones either. Carriers are trying to use these tablets to sell secondary data plans. €800 ($1050) is what a free (non-bound) Galaxy Tab costs in Europe. Is this thing really selling???
It's € 700 without a data plan in German Media Markt. It's sold out most of the time, but of course I have no idea, what this means in total figures.
Media Markt 1 hour ago told me, they sell 3 times more Galaxy Tabs than they sell iPads. Their statement: The run on iPads quickly faded a few months ago, there's huge demand for cameras and USB in the meantime.

In Germany, I see more Galaxy Tabs on the street than iPads. But that's basically 5 units vs. 3 units or something like that (still surprisingly rare on the streets)...
Samsung claims, having sold 600.000 units in the first month. This I can believe, given the feedback I receive and the discussions I've had. This figure would be close to iPad (6m units vs. 10m units in year 1). Certainly a huge success for Samsung. Especially in synergy to their range of smartphones. And given the huge portion of parts they manufacture themselves, profitability should be as high as Apple's.

I see one advantage of iPad though: Stability of the OS.
I don't think, iPad ever has crashed on me.
My Android Tabs (Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak as well) crash maybe once or twice per day. Meaning, the respective application hangs and I kill it manually. I'm pretty sure, that's neither Dell's nor Samsung's "fault", but lies in the OS.
Theoretically, I'd prefer Android over iOS, considering openness and features. But for now, iOS seems more "mature".

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-30-2010 at 01:22 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote