View Single Post
Old 10-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
MdB
Advocate/Initiate
MdB doesn't litterMdB doesn't litter

Device: Undecided
Recommend me some Fantasy/SF, if you have a free moment

Though, of course, you could easily classify Fantasy within the genre of SF, I have learned from reading these forums, I thought the title would more easily clarify that I'm looking for both, and either/or. I'm relatively new to the fantasy/SF genres, having been convinced by a friend a couple of years ago to read Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. (which I was not terribly impressed with, btw - engaging stories, but so lacking in depth and realistic characters and motivations) I moved on to Jordan's Wheel of Time series, which I absolutely love, and am curious about Sanderson's ability to wrap up in one book (good luck!!!), and I recently read George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series - which is probably my favorite read yet in the genre, and maybe top 20 of my all time reads. I loved LOTR, of course, and recently read the Runemaster books, which I enjoyed the premise of, though they were not quite as enjoyable as Martin, for example. So, the question would be - as you all are quite well versed in both genres, where to go next, for one who loved:

A Song of Ice & Fire
The Wheel of Time
LOTR
ANYThing by Ray Bradbury
Douglass Preston & Lincoln Child
Dean Koontz
Stephen King
Neal Stephenson
Ender's Game (haven't tried any other OSC yet)

I know...it's pretty broad up there. I guess what I'm asking is: What are the Must Read classics out there in this genre that I really need to get to, and haven't? I love a good adventure, sure, but certainly prefer the realistic shades of gray that Martin presents to the blindingly black and white world of Goodkind. I enjoy Science, and Fantasy, and do not particularly prefer one to the other, but I need a good character development and plot over an impressive premise.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and if I have missed a thread that has already really answered this, I apologize. I've looked through the SF/Fantasy sticky at the top, as well as many others, and that has given me a ton of ideas, but I guess what I'm looking for is a ranking - top 10 SF books/series, so I know where to start.

Thank you all for the assistance. This is an excellent and much-respected resource for a reader, and I very much appreciate it.

MdB.
MdB is offline   Reply With Quote