View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be fair, you guys might be talking about two different things. Sure, the book is a standalone with regard to having a complete story-arc (and that it could technically be read without any of the previous material), but that doesn't mean doing so would give a reader the best experience possible. There's things from the previous series that can affect the enjoyment/comprehension of this stand-alone ... and I'm sure there are things in this stand-alone that may have some bearing on later "stand-alones." I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to the term. I don't want to know if a book can stand alone, I want to know if it does... in every way imaginable (meaning no connections to or from other books).

The point being: if there's any possibility that a group of loosely-connected stand-alone novels will eventually become part of some sort of cohesive "whole"... then they're not stand-alones. Which means I'll probably wait until the "whole" is available.

But that's just me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote