View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
The novelist who writes a novel, lightly based on historical facts, seems to me to be more honest in his writing than an academic, trying to reach the public by whatever means he thinks fit.
The latter tends to give me somewhat of an aftertaste and that is what I get when reading The Swerve, however well it is researched.
You're expressing my opinion exactly, here. I'll have more to say about it when we get to Fanny and Stella. There's something a little dishonest in the whole Swerve enterprise, which promised much more than it delivered, I think in a manner calculated to appeal to the broadest possible audience.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I know of at least two others who also planned to read The Sleepwalkers. Perhaps if there's enough interest we could start a dedicated thread.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote