View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
porphyra
porphyra began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I don't much like guessing at things, but now that you can load your own fonts, the situation might be much better. What I don't know is if the html of the Arabic book has formatting tags that can be read by the reader. I have coded for Italian shtuff and the tags were in English...

PDF should be PDF, I would think. I can't see a problem, but don't know for sure.

Edit: Someone in another thread is very happy with Chinese fonts and books on her Kobo.
Yes that was me that posted and my girlfriend is indeed very happy. Yes, with this new firmware, you should be able to add the Arabic fonts of your choice (TT or Open Type) and then choose the appropriate font when you load the book. I gave it a whirl with 6-7 Chinese books and 3 different Chinese fonts. All permutations and combinations worked.

My girlfriend finds a lot of Chinese books in .Doc format on the net. Usually we just save them to .RTF and have calibre convert it to EPub when adding it to Kobo, automatically. That has worked well so far.

Thank god we are no longer converting to PDF to read foreign books. Reading pdfs is still a pain compared to Epubs and the like.
porphyra is offline   Reply With Quote