View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 10:47 AM   #51
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
As a professional cabinet maker I have worked with battery operated tools since their inception in the early eighties. I used to buy the best tools. But when the batteries got down to unusable power levels at recharge, I was sticker shocked when faced with replacement necessity. This is where manufacturers make their money. One battery costs from a third to half of a tool's original price, and if you figure that the tool came with two batteries...

The other factor that now keeps me from buying the best battery operated tool is the volt war. When I started working with BOp. tools the standard voltage was 7.2v. Trying to find one now is also an expensive proposition. And since the tools that use them are still in perfect working order, again I'm stuck with those high prices. Up to date the price of batteries passed the original price of the tool threefold!

The advice I'd give? Buy cheap 12v. tools that come with at least two batteries. When the batteries run down, the tool will also be at it's end. Then you can buy an other cheap tool at a slightly higher voltage.

I wonder if someone is going to make cheaper readers soon!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote