View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #653
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user38 View Post
I bought an Aura two days ago in Australia. The retailer (JB Hi FI) had advertised it on their website but the product was so new the store hadn't even put them on display.

They only had pink and there were no covers available.

The software version is 3.1.1. There are no scratches or pinholes that I can find. I imagine this Aura is from the latest batch in which the pinholes and scratch issue has been addressed.

I am extremely happy with the Aura and it is a huge upgrade from my Sony PRST-2. Like most e-readers (and for those with a large number of books) this product only makes sense if used in conjunction with Calibre as Calibre allows users to update metadata (collections) painlessly. I note that the speed of the product is dependent on the number of collections. In Calibre I have over 400 tags. When loaded onto the Aura the Aura appeared to lock up when selecting "My Collections": it took over 20 seconds to open the collections screen. When I reduced to tags to 20 (translating to 20 Collections) the transition took 1 or 2 seconds.

The Aura seems to be pretty happy reading books from the SD card: my PRST-2 exhibited some slowdown unless the books were on the main memory. Pocket is great and my heart bleeds for Canuck_in_Japan. I understand this product does not have the screen resolution of the Aura HD but the Aura is a significant upgrade from the PRST-2 which has a coarser screen resolution and no glow light.

It even has games, although they are mostly lame and I can't seem myself playing any of them.

I note the initial set up requires one to open a Kobo account and provide a credit card. Kobo must have learned this from Apple. It makes it incredibly easy and almost impossible not to buy books from the Kobo store.

Regardless, I am very happy with the purchase. If I dropped my Aura and broke it I would definitely buy another one.

Stephen
Don't worry about me as I was able to get pocket simply by changing the affiliate to Kobo from Rakuten. While I can believe that you don't have any pinholes as I don't have any either that I can see, I suspect that you'll find the scratches if you look hard enough. Try tilting the reader downwards under an incandescent light. I have them on mine. But I never actually see them while reading so it doesn't matter to me in the least.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote