View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
Further thoughts / questions about ellipses.
Sometimes they lead into the first sentence of a paragraph. Would you consider it necessary to use NBSP to join them to the first word? Since they are at the start of the paragraph, it's unlikely they would be orphaned.

I've also seen, sometimes within the same paragraph, the ellipsis by itself with no other punctuation, the ellipsis preceded by punctuation, and the ellipsis followed by punctuation. What's your best-practice way to handle it with preceding punctuation?
I don't know if you were addressing me specifically, or the gang in general, but, my $.02 (I'm overcharging):
  • No, I'd join the hellips to the first word, no space; just in case someone had the font gi-normous. You are likely correct, in that it's unlikely it would ever be orpahned, but...{shrug}, safe/sorry.
  • ellipsis by itself--you mean, on its own line? I've seen that, but not often, and if it is, I'm not sure what the question is?
  • ellipsis preceded by punctuation, join them, most likely. I can't think of what punctuation would correctly precede a hellips.
  • ellipsis followed by punctuation, ditto. I don't want closing quote marks, for example , dropping to a following line. Or the last period.

I think making decisions about what to do with some of the, um, imaginative uses of punctuation marks that we all see is one of the hardest decision-making tasks in ebook-making! ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote