View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On the other hand, buy a Sony and you're stuck with a single company, who may not be in the eBook business at all in a few years time. Mobipocket is the de facto industry standard - you can be pretty certain that in 5 years time you'll still be able to buy a bookreader which will support Mobi; I wouldn't say that about Sony. Using MobiPocket I can read the same books on my Smartphone, my PDA, my CyBook Gen3, my iLiad and my Desktop PC; no other book format even approaches it in terms of widespread device support.

Sure, you COULD download 1000 books for the Sony now, and then have the pleasure of converting them all into a different format in a few years time when you replace your reading device, but do you really want to?
A lot of people download ebooks where they can remove the DRM and convert to the format that their device handles. So in these cases, it matters not what format the device reads be it BBeB or Mobipocket. Purchase these books and convert and you have books you can read on many different devices.

But, consider that the OP wants to eventually get a reader with a larger screen good for PDF. We cannot say what format(s) that device will read and we do not know who will make it. The Sony is the cheapest option that will do the job in the mean time. For all we know, the interim device may be relegated to closet status or given away.

I know Mobipocket can be read on more devices. But there are a lot of people like myself who don't have the need for more then one device. The only portable reading device I have is the 505. I don't own a PDA or smartphone. I have a nice simple cellphone that does one thing very well.. be a cellphone with good battery life. I can read LRF/LRX books on my computer and my 505.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote