View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #86
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I think science takes on trust those things it regards as axiomatic.

For example, a lot of science is maths and rests on mathematical and logical axioms, 'Pi in the Sky: counting, thinking and being' by John D. Barrow is a fascinating book about the philosophy of maths, that explores whether what science takes on trust is philosophically valid.

Opening paragraph:
"A mystery lurks beneath the magic carpet of science, something that scientists have not been telling, something too shocking to mention except in rather esoterically refined circles; that at the root of the success of twentieth century science there lies a deeply 'religious' belief - a belief in an unseen and transcendental world that controls us in an unexplained way, yet upon which we seem to exert no influence whatsoever."

Sounds not unlike Plato's world of forms.
Yes, it's true that there is that aspect in mathematics and geometry. But I am not very knowlegeable on that subject (or maybe I should say, I'm even more ignorant than on others). I'll make a note of that book you mentioned, it sounds interesting

I have to admit though, that the comparison to religion sounds a bit dubious to me, like so many attempts to "put science in its place" that are usually based on misconceptions about scientific methods. I think that questioning science is healthy, but doing it for religious reasons... well, maybe it's better not to go into that debate.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote