View Single Post
Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #10
lambdadork
lambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselambdadork juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
hanvon

I own a Hanvon Wisereader N800(8") and tried an N618(6") Both have a Wacom style stylus and handwritten note apps. I *could* stuff the N618 in the sidepockets of my cargo pants but it would be a stretch to describe it as "pocketable".
I ended up going for the 800 because the 618 was not available in WiFi, and I read a lot of (technical) pdf's. it turns out that the larger screen is also really nice for taking notes, making doodles and sketching diagrams.
I really like the hardware. It feels much sturdier then my kindle, I have no qualms carrying it with me everywhere I go, reading while being pushed around the Beijing subway system.
The firmware feels a little unfinished, it all works well enough and you get used to it but it doesn't feel very integrated.
I have no idea about its hackability, the stock firmware is based on wince, which I know nothing about. I would love to be able to run xournal on it so maybe one day i will try to boot a linux kernel on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by semioticwafture View Post
Are there any readers around that satisfy all of the following?
  1. Hardware capable of taking handwritten notes
  2. e-ink (or otherwise battery life better than a week)
  3. Small enough to fit in my pocket

Ideally I'd like to use a stylus. Built-in software that allows taking notes is a major plus. Hackability is a plus. Recognizing handwriting is a minus. Taking handwritten notes on pages of books is a minor minus -- I'm only interested in writing notes that don't relate to any book.

I had hoped that the kindle touch would fit the bill, but it sounds like there's no software for that built in, and the hardware is not quite up to the job?
lambdadork is offline   Reply With Quote