View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The trick is to do the things that are an advantage for a local presence and not to do things that are an advantage for an internet presence. Simple, huh .

In my blog, a few weeks ago, I suggested that B&M retailers actually convert to showrooms. Kind of a combination of the suggestions of wizwor and the quote that carpetmojo excerpted. I won't try to repost the entire blog here, but if you are really bored and want the details, it's here:
http://blogs.8chs.com/2012/01/rethin...ng-bricks.html

Specifically, in regard to Best Buy's announcement, the part that is often overlooked is that they also plan to increase their emphasis on service. Think Geek Squad/Genius Bar. This is definitely something that needs a hands-on, local approach.

I know its popular to complain about the geek squad, and I don't think I will ever need them. However, the population is quite a bit larger than those of us on these message boards. When my mom or dad really mess up their computer to the extent that I can't run logmein, I send them to the geek squad since we don't live nearby. I think that a store that specializes in handholding, selling accessories, and other stuff makes a lot of sense in a local format.

I also blogged about this service aspect of the Best Buy announcement in a recent post. However, the blog post doesn't add anything significant to my comments above. But if your a real masochist, you can read the post here:
http://blogs.8chs.com/2012/03/best-b...ght-track.html
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote