View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Doesn't the kindle unpack everything into memory when it opens a book?
It does as its a linux based system and its basic knowledge that whatever you are reading, should be dumped to the RAM (memory) first. However, you will have to write a program that can read each sector (or equivalent in RAM) of the memory and find out where the cover lies. I am not sure if Kindle allows anybody to have direct access to reading the RAM. Whatever other hacks are, they dont work on RAM (as far as I am aware, anyways). They work on the local storage (Hard disk equivalent) of Kindle.

One alternative can be to figure out where the kernel of the OS is assigning everything on RAM. If someone can figure out a way to read this information from the Kernel, they dont have to go to RAM and it might be doable. I know nothing of linux programming, or scripting, but Niluje is the linux guru here. Maybe he can help. (He would have already if my theory is true)..
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote