View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
LDBoblo, I had such a thing as an ebook and it was a disaster. Any of the pages that did not scan as clearly (e.g. because of callout boxes or other layout issues) could not be searched so it was hard to go back and find something later. And it was DRMd up the wazoo---you couldn't cut and paste even a single word or line to cite in an essay, or download to a mobile device, or anything. Huge waste of money. And it is from the same company they mention in the article

But thinking back to all the classical literature I had to read for my English degree back in the dinosaur days of 1997, I could have saved an absolute fortune if I had an ebook reader then. My Norton Shakespeare alone would have paid for half a Sony Reader. Probably 60% of my course readings were public domain, and of the remaining 40%, at least half of those are modern novels which by now would be in buyable ebook editions. Might not be the best solution for, say, an engineering major. But a literature major like me, it would have been amazing.
As a philosophy major, it would have been quite nice. And scholarly works in philosophy do display adequately on a six inch (or, gasp, five inch) screen.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote