View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
I am not an author, but I have a blog where I review books and have a small readership who take my recommendations and buy. The advice I can offer is twofold:

1. Make sure your book is edited before going free. No typos. No obviously misplaced punctuation. No extra words from an earlier revision hiding inside your new prose. I see a lot of these mistakes in the books that are offered for free. Not to say every book, but a well edited free book is a rare gem indeed. And you want positive reviews from the free book to drive your sales.

2. If you want the book to be permanently free, make purchase a pay-for-convenience thing. Serialize the book on a blog (really draw it out at half or quarter chapters per post and post 3 times a week) but then offer a link in the side bar to where those who are impatient can buy the whole book, easily.

I know quite a few authors that do this very successfully to build an audience for their later works, but also get paid for this sample work too. It seemed like a good model so I filed it away and am happy to share.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote