View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #49
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhaak View Post
Scrivener and Lucida Sans on a Mac. Pretty much use LS for everything on screen[...]But I don't care for the way Windows renders Lucida Sans. On Windows I've been moving toward the newer versions of Segoe UI.

I won't even get into the problems I had deciding on a print font for my books before finally settleing on Berthold Garamond.
Took a look a Lucida Sans, I was curious about someone choosing a sans-serif font for writing. And I discovered why I took a dislike to it (from Wikipedia):
Quote:
In April 2012, Lucida Sans was selected by GfK Blue Moon as the font for a package design as part of a proposed law in Australia banning logos on cigarette packaging. The proposed law requires cigarettes to be sold in dark olive-brown packages that depict graphic images of the effects of smoking and the cigarette's brand printed in Lucida Sans. According to Tom Delaney, a senior designer with New York design consultant Muts & Joy, "Lucida Sans is one of the least graceful sans-serif typefaces designed. It’s clumsy in its line construction." In August 15, 2012, the Australian government approved the ban on cigarette logos, effectively replacing them with the unattractive packaging.
As a reformed non-smoker (or should that be "rereformed smoker"?) I've been seeing this font in less than attractive circumstances. Maybe I'll like it better if/when I manage to give up again.

I don't actually see it being "least graceful", I don't mind it as a sans-serif font, but I can't see myself using it for writing.

Last edited by gmw; 09-25-2013 at 04:56 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote