View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbr View Post
I can't imagine giving this to anyone 50+ and expect them to figure it out.
I'm 64 and I had it figured out in less than half an hour. My sister is 75, bought it on my recommendation, has absolutely no problem with it, and loves it. And no one in their right mind would call her computer savvy.

Quote:
It was HEAVY. Not just the heavy kind of heavy, but HEAVY like it was filled with batteries or made of solid lead.
iPad 2 = 1.3 lbs (601g) Novel = 1.2 lbs (539 g) loaf of bread = 1 lb (454 g)

Quote:
I Couldn't get any ebooks into it at all.
Did you read the manual? My 75 year old sister managed this in one try.

Quote:
The touch screen was inaccurate and very sluggish.
Again, did you read the manual and follow the directions to calibrate it? Did you read that you should use your fingernail and NOT the fleshy part of your finger? My screen is not at all inaccurate and -- for the low cost -- very acceptable response wise.

Quote:
I couldn't get it on the android store, so couldn't get any apps on it.
The Novel has never had out-of-the-box access to the android market. I, like steven522, have never had a problem finding and installing apk's from the internet. Google is your friend here. If you MUST have market access, it is easily done by doing some research at slatedroid.com. There are multiple alternate firmware roms available and more than one of them include market access.

For the money the Novel is a VERY acceptable device. But you cannot have the attitude that you are paying for a Yugo but expect the performance of a Porsche and be happy with it.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote