View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #36
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
At least the DOS box you can pop out the floppy and put it into a modern Windows machine without much hassle. C64... not so much!

I have some experience with this. My dad is a hobbyist writer. He inherited my Grandpa's old computers when he died and always wrote on them. Some of his files started as Tandy files, but I was trying to get them off of a Pentium 60mhz.

Ended up with my one spare remaining floppy drive (used for installing SATA drivers on WinXP) propped on top of the system and copying the files in DOS onto a floppy (since I didn't have a working serial mouse for win 3.1) and transferring to my PC via a USB floppy drive. It's HARD to get files from a system with a non-EIDE hard drive, no usb, no network card, no CD burner, etc. UGH

Finally got all of the files off (annoying multiple versions didn't help). They were originally Wordstar on DOS, I think - DOC files but NOT WORD. Could not get them to open correctly (garbedlygook after a few pages), even with macros and converters, under Office 2007 or even OfficeXP or OpenOffice. Worked fine under Win 3.1 Write or Wordperfect ancient edition.

Finally, guess what opened them? Modern Wordperfect.

So...as far as I know, you can open Wordstar files in modern Wordperfect....lol
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote