Thread: $13 eReader?
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #69
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
What's the file transfer speed of Bluetooth? 5 files in 4Gb = 800Mb each. Transferring 800Mb over Bluetooth is going to be slow I would have thought. Unless it transfers them compressed and uncompresses them before use. But it obviously can't uncompress on-the-fly otherwise you wouldn't restrict it to 5 books, you'd have however many compressed versions you can fit. So if it can't do on-the-fly uncompress then it's going to take an appreciable amount of time after transfer to uncompress.

Either way I think they're counting on transferring books being an occasional activity. I think this is aimed at the casual reader who might load up a couple of books, read them and then a few days/weeks later, load up a few more. Those of us who load up a significant proportion of our entire library "just in case" probably aren't going to find this a useful device.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote