View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Assuming it is not locked in with some DRM that has not been broken. Non-broken DRM content can fade away in a moment.
Sure. But this category of problems is not restricted to ebooks or digital formats. You could have a huge collection of vinyl records, laserdiscs, reel-to-reel tapes, VCR tapes. If your faithful device breaks, you may have all sorts of problems finding a playback device that works with your current equipment.

Or, I could drop $2000 on a copy of AutoCAD. What guarantee do I have that AutoDesk will be in business 20 years from now? Or that DWG's -- or worse yet, Revit files, which are significantly more complex than a DWG -- will work properly in the future? Or that these expensive software packages will be compatible with the next Microsoft OS on deck? E.g. officially, anything earlier than AutoCAD 2007 is not supported on Vista.

Given at least the current ability to shift your ebook purchases to different devices, I don't see much reason to sweat it, let alone bury an entire class of devices on that basis.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote