View Single Post
Old 08-07-2023, 10:51 AM   #1
jrw174
Connoisseur
jrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the roughjrw174 is a jewel in the rough

Device: PocketBook Era
PocketBook Custom Desktop Icons, Custom App Icons and Custom App Names

Hi all,

Please see this link for a guide to customizing your PocketBook desktop and icons:
https://github.com/jjrrw174/PocketBo...Customizations

The spoiler below is my initial findings. This is out of date. Please following the github link.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread

Spoiler:

This requires root
BACK UP THE FILE BEFORE CHAGES

1. Ssh to your PocketBook as root
2. Enter the following commands:
su - (allows sudo)
mount -o unmount,rw /ebrmain (This remount ebrmain as writable since it's read only)
chmod -R 775 /ebrmain (allows file to be modified)
vi /ebrmain/config/desktop/apps_db.json(opens file to edit)
3. If you don't know how to use VI there are plenty of tutorials online for this but you need to enter insert mode (press I on keyboard) and edit the file to set the visible flag on apps you don't want to see as "1" instead of "0". When changes are complete press ESC and type :wq
6. Type reboot
4. Please feel free to use my file attached here as a guide. My apps_db.json has everything but settings, library, and dictionary hidden. I had to upload as .txt please remove the .txt when you use the file.

Notes
1. VI is what I use but I believe the root install is suppose to have installed Nano
2. If you make changes and the home screen doesn't open on your device anymore, don't be alarmed, it's just a mistake made in the file. Run the changed file through a JSON validator but ignore the duplicate keys errors

Last edited by jrw174; 08-10-2023 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Adding link to updated guide and other findings we made
jrw174 is offline   Reply With Quote