View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #461
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Whoops, I stand corrected. Should've known.

Should check these things first before I blab, eh?

So you can search to match "Mystery" but not "Mystery/Thrillers".
Again, my regex knowledge is sparse. The purpose of the tilde in:

tags:"~Mystery(?!/Thrillers)"

I get the parentheses. That's a group. I get the exclamation mark as being negation and /Thrillers as the term I expressly asked for. The question mark I THINK is what turns the parentheses into a group. But the tilde? I tried my search with and without the tilde and got the same result set in what appears to be close to instantaneous time.

My 03B Mysteries Not Thrillers search now becomes:
((tags:"Mystery" or tags:"Detectives" or tags:"Crime") and not (tags:"Thriller"))

The design decision to add a separate NOT clause for thiller was to avoid having to add a negation regex to each of the three search terms in the OR clause. The speed was very fast, much faster than the old saved search that included the equals sign.

Now, if I could only write a search that would change the created column #tagsgm... i.e. something like #tagsgm:=="BioSports"(?(tags:"Biography") and (tags:"Sports")) which I could follow with #tagsgm:=="Bio"(?(tags:"Biography") and not (tags:"Sports"))

Throw those (and others) into a program for the created column and I'm on auto cruise control.
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote