View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #106
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Obviously you don't have a 60GB music disk. (Mind you, no videos in there.)
Actually, I do. :-)

But it's a great illustration of the way things are going. I moved all my music to a NAS a couple of years ago, in FLAC format, so that I could serve it to any device round the house.

But then Google Play Music came along, and up into the cloud it went (at 320 kbps mp3). Then All Access came to the UK, and finally weaned me off Napster after 8 years of subscribing. Now with all the music together in the cloud I'm finding myself going to the local NAS versions less and less. The quality's better on the NAS, but the cloud quality is acceptable, and far more convenient than the local copies.

I travel a lot, so yes, there are times when I'm offline, but I've got my phone with me as well, with cloud copies pinned offline there. I don't really need all my music with me all the time - I still have plenty of offline content available - and I can refresh what's offline whenever I do get a data connection.

And if I wanted to carry a 60 GB music collection with me, of course, I could just put it on an SD card.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote