View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
MichaelJScott
Zealot
MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At my nephew's graduation party the other day, I gave him a copy of The Spirit of Resistance in hardcover (he's a new writer I've been mentoring, sort of), with a nice little note inside about how I was looking forward to seeing his work in print - that sort of thing. Got the biggest surprise myself when my sister spied the book and kissed me on the cheek saying, "We've been so desperate to read this!" I resisted the urge to point out that she coulda bought the book, or even said something sooner and I'd have given her a copy. Didn't even know she was that interested!

She called me the next day and said, "You know how some books you just have to kinda force yourself to turn the page, because it's like slogging your way through mud, and everything just drags along?" "Uh yeah." I'm thinking, 'Uh oh.' She says, "This isn't one of them." She's already read through the first three chapters and hasn't been able to put it down. I don't think my nephew has even had a chance to crack the binding yet. Oh well. I'm glad she's enjoying it!
MichaelJScott is offline   Reply With Quote