Thread: Angry!
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Well, I've made some progress but now I am in another hole.

Firstly:

@ GeoffC Yeah, my FW bookeshelf is there all the stuff I boughtm fine OK, but for example I have bought most of the Lee Child Jack Reacher books in mobi, and have all those, but if I search FW for Lee Child it now only returns 8 items and none available in mobi. Also a lot of stuff just isnt available in mobi and it's a lottery as to whether any book you choose will be available in epub too.

@ Eowyn Carter. Successfully de drmed neally all of my mobi books, got a couple of errors, will check later, but it might be they weren't actually drm prc files. Coverted to epub in Calibre, rebuilt a libray, edited meta data. Flashed the Cybook to 2.0 and used Calibre to stick it all back in. Mostly OK but I may need to mess with the convertion options, mostly it seems paragraph spacing isn't there making the page look 'busy'.

Now I am finding issues with this whole wretched Adobe thing: Installed ADE, authorised computer and Cybook. Seemed OK, but I don't get a PID like mobi? Anyway downloaded a multiformat book from FW in epub format, that worked fine, imported it into Calibre and sent it to the Cybook.

Then I bought a secure epub book from fw, but this is where I get confused, as I didn't get to put any certificate data in. The file downloaded was with a .acsm extension, so ADE won't import it and of course neither will Calibre. WTF is this all about? How does this whole secure epub work?

This begs loads of questions about how I use this new format. I also notice that my Cybook library now has a folder for digital editions as well as ebooks, does this mean that all the secure books will be kept in a different folder structure?

Finally. I am now pretty fed up with FW, so what recommendations are there for other stores (preferably UK) where I can get a wide selection of epub books.

thanks in advance
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote