View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just FYI, The "neti pot" refers to an ancient Indian practice called Neti (pronounced as Nay-tee with a soft t). It's a great way to decongest I used to use it extensively when I suffered from sinus problems. I didn't realize it helped with allergies as well.
well, nasal allergies work kinda like this I think.

there are receptors in your nose, and when an allergen gets caught in the receptor, your body starts reacting like it senses a virus or bacterial infection, that's what an allergy is, something your body attacks that isn't really bad for you.

So the Neti Pot would work by clearing out the receptors, so it should provide near instant relief, unlike when you have a cold, it would come back because your body will still respond by producing mucus. if you are away from the allergen, it shouldn't reappear.

I used a Neti pot before it was cool. (mother works for a natural cooking school, so they were at the forfront of the new Neti pot movement) Boy I hated it, and it wasn't worth it in my opinion.

Claritin works great for me, when I have bad allergies I take 2 that day, than 1 per day for the next 2, and then I taper off to 1 every 2 days, 1 every 3, and that ussually gets me out of that allergy attack. I don't have many outdoor allergies, only indoor, cat and dust, of course I have a cat, and I live in NYC.

Humidifiers for the win though! those really help keep the dust out of the air in my bed room. in winter the Heat dries out the air. in summer my A/c Does that. so I had really dry air for the longest time. then my GF bought my a Humidifier and I had 2 days of great air. then it broke(amazon gave full refund!), but then it was open window time for the 3 months from March-May. Now it's a/c season again and she just got me a new one. which cured a cough and bad allergies I was having.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote