View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

KF8 Personal Documents display as older mobi 7 docs

I've noticed that Personal Documents formatted for both mobi 7 and KF8 that are compiled (without error) using KindleViewer 2.4 do not display as KF8 on the Fire, Kindle for Android, or Kindle for iOS when they are sent via the Amazon cloud to those devices/apps. However they do display as KF8 when sideloaded. I've sent an inquiry to Amazon concerning this via the support channels through my Kindle Direct Publishing account, see below for copy of my inquiry. I'll post their reply when/if I get it.

Quote:
I have created a book I plan to publish soon. I created my book using HTML5 and CSS3. I used the @media statement within the CSS to differentiate between mobi 7 formatting and KF8 formatting. I also created the appropriate content.opf and toc.ncx files. Using KindlePreviewer 2.4 the files compile without error. The resulting book file looks great on my PC. It also looks great on my Kindle3 Keyboard and Kindle4 non-touch when sideloaded to them. The mobi 7 formatting works well. It also looks great on my Kindle Fire and in the Kindle for Android app on my Android phone when sideloaded to them. When sideloaded the KF8 formatting is displayed. I then emailed the file to my Amazon cloud to become a Personal Document. When I send this Personal Document to my Kindle Fire, Kindle for Android app on my Android phone, and Kindle for iOS app on my iPod touch, the KF8 formatting fails to display. Instead I get the older style mobi 7 formatting. The Fire is running firmware 6.3 and the apps on my Android phone and iPod touch are the latest versions. Will Personal Documents not display as KF8? Or is this a bug? If Personal Documents cannot be displayed as KF8, then how can I test books on my iOS devices as I cannot sideload to them. It is very important for me to test books on all devices before publishing.