View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 04:56 AM   #9
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
I don't mind the lack of dictionary lookup too much, although I would use it if it were available. User replaceable battery does sound like a GREAT feature, and I hope next iterations of Sony will have that. I don't mind missing mobipocket support now with epub available, especialyl because publishers really are starting to pay attention.. Booksonboard just released preorder of mobipocket AND epub for an upcoming hugely popular book, which makes me think epub will be widely available soon.

User-loadable fonts.. well, this is something i have wanted for a very long time. I'll have to say, though, that I think user loadable fonts create some problems, at least from my experience of hacking/patching new fonts into the Reader.. especially with pagination. A new font usually requires a reset of the reader's cache, and I imagine it might play havoc with the accurate page numbers of the Sony.. I think this must be one of the big reasons Sony hasn't implemented it. However, with the Universal Flasher, I loaded my own custom fonts and am very happy with the state of the reader, so I don't mind the lack of custom fonts as much as I did before the update came out. (the unicode patch was a bit finicky to deal with, although I would never have bought the Sony without the patch being available)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For me, the benefits of the CyBook remain as they always have been:

- Dictionary lookup.
- User-loadable fonts.
- User-replaceable battery.
- MobiPocket support.

The first of these is now (IMHO) a major disadvantage of the Sony compared to all its "competition". It is the only major player in the eBook market not to support dictionaries. I was hoping that Sony would have addressed this issue in this firmware upgrade.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote