View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #174
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I like reading on my devices; I even prefer it. But I still read pbooks, because availability and price are factors also. Price is an every person for himself kind of thing, whether it's worth paying a premium for the convenience of ereading. But just as format is a limiting factor for some, so is availability, especially for a lit club where too many potential reads aren't availability digitally. Geo-restrictions further narrow the pool, if we're to be limited to ebooks available in all venues.

I understand that for some, ebook format isn't a choice, it's a necessity, and that's unfortunate. There's a tradeoff between breadth of selection and breadth of format, and I think sun surfer has made the right choice.

Here's what I don't get. I'm sorry that in any given month, people won't be reading the selection because it's only available in pbook in their markets, or perhaps not available in any format whatsoever. But why would someone walk away in a huff and decline to participate at all, even though the choice in many months will meet his criteria? Instead, why wouldn't someone get involved in the nominating process, actively promote selections in a preferred format, and happily read and discuss in months he can?

So the glass is half full; don't dump it on the ground because you didn't get as much as you want.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote