Thread: Android tablet
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #33
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The current Enso Zenpad has a pretty small screen -- the entire device is only 5" long. Personally, I'd hold out for a 7" model if e-books is a prime, but not exclusive, requirement. I'm quite excited about what appears to be coming down the pipe for Android devices -- it looks like a veritable deluge of devices arriving in the next 90 to 180 days and from start-ups to mainstream vendors.
I collect all sorts of readers and don't mind a 5" screen from time to time. I've used a 7" as well and just ordered another one last night to try out. I like a 6" screen best for day to day reading on the go but for backlit devices, it's going to be 5" or 7" only.

Quote:
They claim forward compatibility with Android 2.x (ships with 1.6)
Actually, they will be shipping with Android 2.1 now.

From the blog on their Website:
In the meantime we did complete the porting of Androind 2.1 "Eclair" for the Zenpad, so all the devices will be shipped with this version instead of the old Android 1.6 "Donut". The firmware will be available on our website and all our customers will have access to their private area for downloading operating manuals and documentation.

Quote:
Two drawbacks: there is no HDMI output and any device which needs a stylus gives me great pause.
Personally, 1) I have no interest in HDMI output and for the price, you're not going to get all bells and whistles . 2) The zenpad does not require a stylus. Again, watch the video on their Website. Charbax demonstrates the touch screen and also shows the stylus for folk who want to use one.

Quote:
Oh yah, and there is no accelerometer -- which is pretty much a must have in this class of device.
Maybe there isn't an accelerometer but the screen can be rotated to landscape on the fly. I always turn off an accelerometer anyway and manually change the orientation. That's just my preference.

I'm not a cheerleader for the zenpad by any means but I wanted to point out the discrepancies between what you believe about the device and what I'd read and seen in the video demo of the device.

Once I get the zenpad (assuming it actually ships on May 8th) and the device I ordered last night (same device Dullen's Books mentioned in this thread), I'll post pics, etc.

Last edited by Katelyn; 04-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote