View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eason View Post
Am I the only one that wants something like this?
Absolutely not! Although I'd point out that the device you're describing would be of even greater interest to professors than students -- for every paper a student writes in a class, the prof has to read 25 or 30. Then there's the research they do themselves, watching my wife work through the end of her PhD, I can assure you that student reading/workloads are nothing to professor reading/workloads!

You're also not considering other professions, lawyers, office workers ... the potential demand for a well executed device is even more staggering than you seem to think.

Two things I'd point out, though. I really think that a 12" screen is probably a better minimum size, and Letter/A4 would be ideal, since so much is formatted to that size.

The other thing is you mention universities saving money on books by switching to e-devices -- they wouldn't, since they don't generally pay for the books now, but the students could potentially save substantially ... if the system weren't set up specifically to milk them as much as possible.

I for one, have been on this bandwagon for some time. The Sony Reader is a great leisure device, but there is a massive market for a professional grade e-ink/e-paper device. As to why no one has jumped on it (except iRex, who look like they meant to jump, but seems to have missed), I couldn't guess. It's a mystery to me too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote