View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I'm not sure I understand whether the OP means 'what is actually legal' or what 'I think is right and perhaps should be legal'.

In my country there's a distinction between so-called 'analog' and 'digital' media. An analog media would be, for example, a paper book or a vinyl record or a VHS tape.

Anything I buy and own, I can convert into what form I would like, provided I do it myself and it's for private, personal use, and I don't break any copy protection (except if it's the only way I can access the content).

Anything I borrow, I can only copy from analog to analog - such as using a copier to make a paper copy of a library book, but I can't rip a CD I borrow. I belive the reasoning behind this distinction is that analog copying typically involves data loss, while digital copying does not.

This law does not really deal with books - it's from the time when there was all that controversy about mp3 and music sharing. Copying of p-books require much more work. So as for own thoughts, I don't feel bad about the scans I have made of old, out of print, aquarium books I borrowed at the library. I think it's the only way I can be resonably certain I have access to them in 10 years time. I can't even buy them used.

@ZacWolf - does this answer any of your questions/thoughts?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote