View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #23753
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I picked up a few words from Shogun and for once didn't have to google a Japanese word in Stitchawl's post
Well done!

Quote:
Is it harder or easier than wallpapering (which I hate doing)? I'm assuming you stretch the shoji paper over frames and glue round the edges, not all over like wallpaper?
No stretching involved. Lay the shoji flat, remove old paper, lightly scrape off any residue, apply glue to all the cross members, roll the paper down, trim with a razor blade. With old-style rice paper, you can then spray with water and the paper will shrink into a smooth 'skin.' Pretty easy, actually. But...
Today we were really papering the 'fusuma.' These are used for the interior sliding walls between rooms and as doors to the cabinet where one is 'supposed' to store bedding during the day (unless one is as lazy as we are, and just close off the bedroom during the day...) Fusuma are solid panels, and it's a bit more difficult to get the paper to lay smoothly. And because of the patterns, more difficult to get it all straight and lined up correctly. We have three fusuma between the living room and the dinning room, two between the living room and the bed room, two between the bed room and the hall, and three covering the bed room bedding closet. Fortunately, only six of them need recovering, three of them on both sides. If I was smart, I'd hire someone to do it. If my wife was smart, she'd let me hire someone to do it. LUCY!!!!!!!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote