View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
kichigai
kichigai began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Question Wikipedia for the Reader

The Wikipedia is a wonderful source, but sometimes its articles are a bit long for my taste, and I don't want to read them on my laptop. I'd much rather read them on my Reader, but I haven't quite found the best way to convert articles for the Reader.

I've done some searching, and all I've really found are people who want to fit the entire Wikipedia onto their Reader. While that would be totally awesome, it's not what I want to do. I just want to take longer articles and convert them for reading on my Reader.

I've tried going to the Printable version and printing out to a PDF with the page dimensions set as the screen size of the Reader, but with this solution I don't get intra-article bookmarks (or a table of contents), and images aren't always treated right. Also, this method makes resizing the text impossible. Not a problem for me, but I'm thinking in more general terms.

I've tried taking the Printable version as an HTML document and using Calibre to convert it to an LRF, but somehow it never grabs the table of contents. However, this is seems to be one of the better options.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done something like this? If someone has developed a tool for this use, or just thoughts and opinions.
kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote