Thread: Seriousness Anyone else like old radio shows?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I have a digital converter permanently tuned to Radio 7, plugged into my PC, using Total Recorder to capture.

My favourite must be The Navy Lark, especially the first series with Denis Price as the Number One. It brings back memories (albeit vague!) of listening to the first broadcasts in the late '50s - on a battery operated valve wireless set. My father would be roaring with laughter at some things I did not (yet) understand. To hear them again, in such quality, is wonderful.

This is closely followed by I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, and several other marvellous '60s and '70s radio comedies. I exclude The Clitheroe Kid from the list, as this was a show I never liked, either as a child or as I grew up.
You obviously prefer the comedy to the drama - I'm the other way around .

Quote:
I've also build up a large collection of Radio Plays from the '40s onward that have been uploaded to the various newsgroups. I think that I must have all the American Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes, for example.
Yes, likewise. My main problem is trying to find time to actually listen to it! I generally do so in my car on the way to and from work.

I'm pleased to find there's such a tremendous amount of good radio drama still being made. Many of the "Radio 4 Afteroon Plays", for example, are excellent.

Quote:
Grand day for a little nostalgia.
Definitely!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote