View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Luke_Y
Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.Luke_Y can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle KB
Mac- Just made the switch, any advice? Library management etc.

Mac- Just made the switch, any advice? Library management etc.

Hi all, I guess this is my first post here, although I have been a lurker for quite some time.

I just switched from Windows PCs to Mac and have some questions. Formerly I used the Sony software for Library management and transfer. I used libprs500 for converting content that I acquired elsewhere but just saved the conversions to disk and removed the books from the libprs500 interface when done.

On the computer my books are stored in a file folder structure under Books> Author> Book title folder... That final book title folder may contain several versions of the book (lit, lrf, html etc.) as well as a cover jpg or bmp, and possibly a metadata file output by libprs500 (don't know what to do with these) And of course I have the Sony "connect reader" and "ebook library" folders.

I am thinking I will be using libprs500 for Library management, conversions, and transfer. Do I just add all of my books to the libprs500 library? I am a bit confused as to which of the 3 options to use here with regard to my file structure.

I am aware that without installing windows and running the sony software I can't buy any more books from the sony site. As of now I think I am fine with that. I am going to try as best I can to make this switch all the way and find alternatives for my other windows programs, so I wont be installing windows. If I must do a firmware upgrade or something I may install it on my sons PC. But... will the books I have already purchased and loaded continue to work? What if I take them off the reader and put them back on? Can I even do that using libprs500? If not, can I still drag and drop them on and off the reader using OSX?

Thanks for looking and helping out. I have two other requests if you feel like continuing

1) I am near full on my readers memory. If I add a card I lose collections (I think I would lose them anyway with libprs500) which is how I keep things organized now. Any tips for organizing lots of books on the reader? If organization becomes a pain, I guess I don't see the upside of using a card and having all of my books. I guess I would just load the stuff I might be currently be interested in reading. Just feels like a waste.

2) As I wont be using the Sony store any longer, anyone want to point me to some good sites to purchase current books in formats I can use?

Thanks again.
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote